Terranea Resort (ter-a-NAY-a) is inspired by the rich history of Spanish explorers who first discovered the Southern California coastline in the 1500s. This sense of discovery and exploration is alive throughout Terranea as guests experience the 102-acre resort artfully sculpted above the Pacific. With 270-degree ocean views, Terranea is designed to complement its greatest natural asset – the Pacific. Rising from the water’s edge, Terranea Resort preserves its inseparable relationship with the ocean, protecting and enhancing opportunities to bond with the Pacific.
The name Terranea was created to reflect the Mediterranean nature of the resort’s coastal setting. These Mediterranean influences are found throughout the Resort in its architecture and design, climate and relaxed sophistication that defines the lifestyle experience. Breathtaking views, dramatic gardens and indulgent amenities define this classic California resort.
Magnificently poised along one of Southern California’s most scenic and coveted coastlines, Terranea is set on the spectacular Palos Verdes Peninsula, a stunning and irreplaceable site with unobstructed views overlooking the Pacific Ocean and Catalina Island. Strategically located, no other coastal California resort combines such ease of access with the secluded ambiance of a private estate and truly breathtaking vistas.
- 20 miles to Los Angeles International and Long Beach airports
- 30 miles southwest of downtown Los Angeles
- Less than 45 minutes away from many of the renowned cultural, sport and entertainment attractions of Los Angeles and Orange Counties
Rancho Palos Verdes takes its name from Cañada de Palos Verdes or canyon of green trees and was originally inhabited by the Gabrielino-Tongva Tribe.
Years later, the land passed to a consortium of New York investors led by Frank A. Vanderlip, by way of Don Dolores Sepulveda. Considered the founding father of the Palos Verdes Peninsula, Vanderlip built the first homes on the land in 1924 with a plan for a magnificent Italian village that would hug the coast.
Later, the site became Marineland of the Pacific, a seaside animal theme park, and was subsequently used as a set location for various major motion pictures and television productions. Lowe Enterprises became involved with the 102-acre property in 1998 and thus began a 10-year journey, which is now Terranea Resort.
The 582-room resort includes a 360-room hotel with 32 suites, 20 Bungalows, 50 ocean view Casitas and 32 Villas. The bungalow and casita units lock off to provide multiple room configurations.
- Hotel guest rooms range from 450-square-feet to the 2,200-square-foot Presidential Suite.
- The two and three bedroom Villas are located in an enclave and range in size from 1,850 square feet to 2,800 square feet.
- Nestled along the resort’s east and west ocean bluffs are the 50, three bedroom Casitas, each capable of locking off in a combination of up to three separate rooms.
- The two bedroom Bungalows offer 1,642 square feet of comfort that can be locked off into two separate rooms.
With over 135,000 square feet of indoor meeting and event space Terranea offers 33 meeting rooms for social and business gatherings. Many of the meeting rooms feature direct ocean views and outdoor terraces with dramatic vistas. A variety of outdoor venues provide more than 75,000 square feet of terrace and lawn space with breathtaking views for meetings, weddings and social events including The Meadows, an outdoor lawn area.
- 18,000-square-foot main ballroom divides into four or eight smaller venues and includes a 24-foot high ceiling for creative multi-media presentations and elaborate set ups
- 6,600-square-foot ballroom may be divided into three smaller venues and offers a 19-foot high ceiling
- 4,300-square-foot ocean view, multi-functional Catalina Room
- Three executive board rooms, two with fireplaces
- Two hospitality suites that can be reserved for additional entertaining or more intimate meetings
Resort Amenities & Services
The many attributes of the resort include:
- Three heated swimming pools with private cabanas and food service. The Resort pool is available for all Resort guests and features a 140-ft waterslide, children’s splash zone, two hot tubs and a fire pit. The Cielo Point pool offers spectacular ocean views for guests 18 years of age and older and the Spa pool offers spectacular ocean views and is available before and after spa services.
- Children’s Center with interactive programs
- Discovery Trail, a bluff-top trail that connects miles of coastal trails
- Secluded beach cove
- Business Center
- Full concierge staff
- Separate group check-in desk